Thursday, January 28, 2010

Vampires Beware!

Christopher's Ranch Garlic is on sale at Kroger/King Soopers this week for $1.00. It is grown in Gilroy, California. When you drive through the town you can actually smell garlic in the air! They grow and process it all in this little town that smells delicious! And it's right next to the town where they grow artichokes! Double yum!!

First, just slice of the top of the "head" leaving the paper-like skin in tact. Then slowly rub away the outer layer of skin keeping the bulb together. When I was doing this step I had this flash back of being in college, standing in my apartment's kitchen with my cousin/roommate Lisa. We were eating her grandmother Ruth's spicy garlic pickles that burned your lips, but they were so good you couldn't stop yourself. Isn't it funny how the smell of something takes you right into your past? Okay, back to the garlic.
Drizzle it with olive oil until each bulb is well coated. Cover with foil.

I used my Rub-A-Way stainless steel soap bar to get the smell off of my hands. Works every time!

Roast the garlic in the oven at 375 degrees for about an hour. It should be golden, and when you squeeze the bulb, each clove should slide right out. By roasting garlic the strong, pungent flavor turns into this creamy smooth- tasting experience. You could stop here and just spread it on a sourdough baguette.

But I chose to make garlic mashed potatoes. (and by potatoes I mean a combination of cauliflower and potatoes, don't tell anyone!)

I removed each clove of garlic from the head and separated them in snack size lunch bags, and popped them into the freezer. You can take out a bag, defrost it and use it for so many things! I roasted all ten heads of garlic at once. If you are going to do it you might as well do it all at once. My house smelled like an Italian Restaurant. (In a good way)
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment: