Thursday, September 17, 2009

When life gives you time......make dog biscuits!




So now that I have some extra time on my hands, I seem to be on a cooking, baking, and creating jag. Here's a little something I whipped up yesterday.


I found a recipe online and although I didn't taste one, The Mighty Casey seemed to enjoy them tremendously.

Here is the recipe if you would like to make them yourself:

Homemade Doggie Treats

3 1/2 c. all purpose flour
2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. cornmeal
1/2 c. skim milk powder
1 tbs. dry yeast
3 1/2 c. lukewarm chicken or meat broth

1 egg beaten (for egg wash)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
Grease cookie sheets.

Mix dry ingredients. Dissolve the yeast in the broth. Let yeast/broth mixture set for 10 minutes. Then stir the flour mixture into the broth until a soft dough is formed. If the dough is too sticky you can add more flour.

Roll dough out 1/4 thick (I cut the dough into 3 batches, and saved two for later) Cut dog biscuit shapes, and roll remaining dough scraps until all dough is used.

Brush biscuits with egg wash. Bake on greased cookie sheets at 300 for 45 minutes. Then turn off oven and leave in overnight to finish hardening.

Makes 60 medium dog treats.

(Who are they kidding...I had dinner to make.) Just throw the dog biscuits on the counter overnight. Just make sure Fido doesn't jump on the counter and eat them all.

Pack some up and share them with all of your doggie friends.

Don't worry, I made human treats too, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.



After this photo session Casey never wants to see a cookie again!
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment: