Monday, September 21, 2009

{Update}

Whew, that post was up five minutes and my mom was bustin' out the Purell!



Here is my MIL's recipe for Chicken Soup



She's a nice Jewish Lady, so she doesn't measure. A stockpot full of Chicken Broth, two or three carrots sliced into coins, two parsnips sliced, a clove-studded onion, bay leaf, a bunch of dill and a few whole peppercorns. (I like to add celery and fennel also) Throw in a couple of bone in chicken breasts, (or a whole chicken) and simmer until the chicken is done. Remove the chicken and tear or cut into smaller pieces and set aside. ( To get the full effect, read this aloud in a strong Brooklyn accent.)





Matzo Balls (Say it with me...Mahtsah Bowwlz)


2 tbsp. vegetable oil

2 lg. eggs, slightly beaten

1/2 c. Maneschewitz matzo meal

1 tsp. salt, if desired

2 tbsp. soup stock
Blend oil and eggs together. Mix matzo meal and salt together. Add matzo meal and salt mixture to egg and oil mixture and blend well. Then add soup stock and mix until uniform. Cover mixing bowl and place in refrigerator for 15 minutes. (Do not skip this step!! The first time I made matzo balls I didn't refrigerate them first. I had oatmeal when I was done!!)


Remove from refrigerator, make balls, approximately 1 inch in diameter (I used a small ice-cream scoop) , you will need wet hands to form into balls. Place in boiling soup stock. Turn heat down and cover; simmer for 20-25 minutes.




Place broth into a bowl, add chicken back and a few Matzo Balls. That's all. It is better than penicillin!


This is the "Magic Tray". You get to use when when you're sick. We have gotten a lot of use of it in the last few weeks!
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment