Friday, September 18, 2009

Happy 5770!

Friday night marked the first day of Rosh Hashana the Jewish New Year. This is a time of retrospection and finding our own role in conflicts that need to be amended. It is an excellent time to think back and ask for forgiveness for any harms that we have contributed to in the past year. (or longer for that matter)

We observe the New Year with traditional foods like apples and honey. The common saying is "Have a Happy and Healthy New Year!" If you are going to a dinner party for the holiday, I found a perfect recipe. (Kosher? I have no idea, the parts are all dairy I think)

I found a recipe in the October issue of Country Living and changed it slightly.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine 1/3 each chopped dried cranberries and apricots, 1/4 cup sliced almonds, 1/4 cup honey, a sprinkle of cinnamon and 2 cut up Granny Smith apples. Set aside.

Roll 1 thawed sheet frozen puff pastry dough into a 12 inch square. Trim top rind off an 8 ounce wheel of Brie and center the cheese on the pastry. Top with fruit mixture.

Beat 1 egg white and 1/2 tsp of salt in a small bowl. and brush some egg wash along pastry edges. Gather dough around Brie, twisting into a topknot. chill in the freezer for 15 minutes. Brush pastry lightly with egg wash and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 35 minutes.


The Smitten Kitchen also has a great recipe for Jewish Apple Cake that looks great. I'm going to make them both for a dinner tonight that my friend Ellen is hosting.

Image from SmittenKitchen


It turned out nicely. Image by me.

My family used to make a delicious Apple Cake for the Christmas Holidays that we would bring to our neighbors and friends. I remember that it had a caramel glaze on top. My mom needs to email that recipe to me!!

Everyone Have a Happy and Healthy (New) Year!

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment: